This module aims to equip the learner with the knowledge, skills and competencies to source and secure suitable employment or further education/training and to succeed in the workplace environment.
Aims & Objectives
- To explore appropriate work opportunities and/or further education and training opportunities
- To develop an understanding of personal profile, including the identification of possible gaps, and match it to appropriate occupations
- To plan and prepare for entry into the workplace at an appropriate level to personal profile.
- Describe the basic principles underpinning career preparation, to include the concepts of work, career, and planning
- Distinguish between different types of work such as full time, part-time, temporary/contract, and casual work
- Describe local or foreign work opportunities, including sources of job information, vacancies, types of work, Europass, emigration supports, and work visa requirements
- Identify local training and education opportunities including education and training programmes, access routes, certification offered, and progression possibilities
- Compile a personal profile by exploring interests, skills, talents, personal qualities and characteristics, values, achievements, employment preferences, goals, and matching personal characteristics to possible careers
- Identify preferred personal qualities for workplace employer and employee
- Practice a range of personal interactions typical of work situations including initiating and maintaining conversations both formal and informal, listening, following instructions, clarifying instructions, contributing opinions, assertiveness skills, and personal care
- Describe changes that may occur during a working life, including moving to a new position and unemployment, the difficulties associated with change in employment and how to cope with them
- Prepare to participate in the workplace by using job seeking skills to source a suitable job advertisement, apply by CV and cover letter for the position, participate in a simulated interview, and evaluate own performance.
This course is offered free of charge to social welfare recipients subject to a minimum number of participants.