ONLINE SAFETY TIPS
Although we can never be totally safe from attacks and security breaches online, there are things that we can do to reduce our chances of being targeted. The following tips will help you to stay as safe as possible online:
- Use strong passwords – We cannot emphasize enough how important it is to use complex passwords. Use a system to create strong and memorable passwords and change them regularly.
- Enable multi-factor authentication – Two-factor or multi-factor authentication .Two factor is having a username and password
- Make sure your network is secure – Remember that public Wi-Fi is often unsecured, leaving your device and information vulnerable to hackers.
- Make sure you use a firewall – Even on secure networks, you should still use a firewall.
- Protect your identity – Don’t share personal information publicly. The less information that is ‘out there’ the safer you are. Sharing is not always for caring!
- Be scam aware – Check all emails carefully before clicking on any links or opening any files.
- Do necessary updates – It can be annoying to keep updating devices and software but they often contain critical security updates. Better safe than sorry!
- Keep your privacy settings on –so marketing companies don’t have access to your information
- Be careful what you download –only download files that you know are from a reputable person or site
- Be careful what you post on social media sites –if you are posting when you are holidays this can be dangerous
- Make purchases from safe sites
- Keep your antivirus up to date
- Only use your card on websites that you trust
- Make sure that the web address is https and that there is a lock in the lower right corner
- Avoid using public wifi when buying online
- Type in the url rather than google as you can accidently click on the wrong link